9.22.2008

pizza

I am definitely not a HUGE pizza person – David definitely is.

Anytime.
Any place.
Anywhere.
In the rain.
On a train . . .


Anyway, even though I’m not as crazy about pizza as him – I do love me a delicious slice. I live in the Phoenix area (home to the famous Pizzeria Bianco) and also home to the most heavenly La Grande L’Orange Pizzeria (affectionately known as “LGO”). It is so good, I could die. Check out their menu – it is divine and their wings . . . don’t get me started on their grilled goodness served with the most delicious, rich blue cheese and chive dressing.

Whoa, mouth is watering . . . on to my point.

Even though I can’t make LGO’s 80-something year old sourdough crust – I do make a pretty mean pie (which is usually whole wheat around our house).

There are a few ways that I love cooking pizza.

a) Trader Joe’s – love their whole wheat pizza dough. Just buy a sack of pre-made dough and let it sit out for 20 minutes before rolling out. I like to roll into an oblong, rectangular shape. Heat up your grill until very hot, keeping lid closed. Brush pizza dough with olive oil on one side. Place dough directly on grill - olive oil side down. Brush the other side of dough with olive oil. Immediately turn heat down to medium-low. Let cook with lid closed for just a few minutes until slightly puffy. Flip over and top with pesto sauce, fresh Mozzarella medallions, sliced tomatoes, shredded chicken (if desired), white corn kernels, half-moons of zucchini, blanched asparagus and a little grated fresh Parmesan cheese on top. Cook at medium-low heat until heated through and cheese is melted and slightly bubbly (about 5 – 7 minutes depending on grill – watch it carefully!)

b) This recipe is good for cooking indoors. If you lack a grill, this recipe is pretty good along with the same delightful toppings above (or whatever you like).

Whole Wheat Pizza

2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 cup warm water (approximately 110 degrees)

Combine honey with warm water until dissolved. Add yeast to the water and let sit. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients together and then add the olive oil. Add yeast mixture and combine kneading for about 5 minutes. Let rise for 30-45 minutes. Roll out into pizza crust, add ingredients and cook in oven at 450 for about 15-18 minutes.

1 comment:

Britty said...

I made this last night and the chili was AWESOME. Thank you!